I am not a fan of most tech in the classroom. Kids already spend 5-8 hours a day on screens; there is an epic amount of fiddle-around time involved when loading programs and apps; kids with devices would waaaaay rather Snapchat than do their Spanish activities (and I can see why), etc.
That said, I do like using Textivate, which is a platform that allows you to upload stories (or whatever you use in your target language), and then have students do stuff with these activities. There are all kinds of activities available, from Hangman games to re-order scrambled sentences from stories. You need the basic paid version ($50 or so Cdn. per year) to get full functionality. The best deal is the group membership, where you get 10 accounts for about $100/year– awesome for a dept.
Textivate allows you to assign (and score, and track) sets of activities called sequences great for homework). You can also have challenges, where students choose activities and compete for points (the game generates a leaderboard, etc).
I like Textivate because it involves students reading and processing meaning, it is relatively low-tech, it is simple and reliable, and kids don’t need accounts, apps etc (it is doable on a phone).
Anyway, I have used it three times this semester with my Spanish 1s. Recently, I uploaded a French story my colleague wrote, and I “played” the Textivate challenge to see what it was like being a student. I am functional in French but not awesome at it. Doing Textivate made me think. So, today’s question: what are some guidelines for C.I. teachers using Textivate?
- Make the stories short. The French story I uploaded was 107 words…and it was real work getting through multiple activities. The Textivate limit is 500 words. But a 500-word story is waaaaaay too long.
- Use only meaning-processing whole-language activities. If your kids are reading whole sentences (narration, or dialogue) for meaning, this is helpful.
So, I will not use the following activities:
- speed read
- next word
Why not? Well, these activities have one (or more) of the following problems.
a. They do not involve processing of “whole” language (sentences of narration, or dialogue). Some involve separating strings of letters into words. Others involve guessing. These are not input processing.
b. They put pointless pressure on students (eg speed read, invaders). I don’t know how rushing somebody will help them understand. When I read in a second language, I find the opposite: I like to sometimes stop and go, oh that’s what ____ means. I also find I can’t really “think” or understand any faster than I naturally do. Mind you, I’m
c. They require students to have the entire story in front of them. If this is the case, they can simply look for words and match, rather than reading.
3. Make sure that when students use Textivate, they do not have the written version from the class story in front of them. This is so that they have to actually read the sentences, rather than just looking for one-word visual cues.
4. Mark the activities. I find that if I don’t mark the challenges, some kids are like hey free time to Snapchat! so now I assign marks.
Anyway– props to Martin Lapworth for making a useful tool for C.I. language teachers.