Anyone who reads this knows I have two main skills: putting my foot in my mouth, and getting a bad idea in my head and (despite all evidence to the contrary) pursuing it.
I used to think, OK, when introducing adjectives & adverbs, best to introduce paired opposites, e.g. guapo<->feo (good-looking <-> ugly).
This year I played around with limiting vocab (even while switching to fully unsheltered grammar from Day 1). How do I cut the word-load down? I wondered.
So I tried the simplest thing: I just introduced one adjective at a time and used no+adj instead.
So where I used to say la chica era muy guapa, pero el chico era feo (the girl was good looking, but the boy was ugly), now I say la chica era guapa, pero el chico no era guapo (the girl was good-looking, but the boy was not) and I add a happy and then distasteful face when presenting it live.
(I do introduce the opposite word a day or two later.)
The effect was that the kids seemed to pick words up more quickly, and I got fewer errors like this: *el chico era no guapo. I think this was because they got to use their mental bandwidth of fewer items so the input was more focused and their brains got the “rules” more easily.
I dunno what people think. But this was a major revelation for me, and in line with standard T.P.R.S. practice: limit vocab and recycle it as much as possible.